The 50-year-old, best known for his role as Mickey Smith in Doctor Who, attended Islington Police Station in London on Tuesday by prior appointment, accompanied by his wife, Iris, and his solicitor. He was arrested on suspicion of attempted rape, exposure and sexual assault by touching.
The Metropolitan Police said the allegations were made by a woman who was in her twenties at the time of the alleged offences, which are said to have taken place in London in 2007.
Clarke was also interviewed in connection with a separate allegation of voyeurism, for which he had previously been arrested in September 2025.
In a statement, a spokesperson for the Metropolitan Police said: “The man was bailed pending further enquiries and the Met’s investigation continues.”
Clarke’s arrest follows a lengthy legal battle in which he sued The Guardian for libel over a series of sexual misconduct allegations published by the newspaper. He lost the case and was declared bankrupt in December, facing legal costs reported to be up to £6 million.
According to reports, Metropolitan Police officers have been assessing evidence that emerged during the civil proceedings.
Clarke has consistently denied allegations of sexual misconduct. Following the outcome of his libel case last year, he said: “For almost five years, I have fought against a powerful media outlet and its extensive legal teams over inaccurate and damaging reporting.
“I have never claimed to be perfect. But I am not the person described in these articles.”
His wife gave evidence in his defence during the civil trial.
In March 2022, the Metropolitan Police previously announced that information relating to sexual harassment allegations published at that time did not meet the threshold for a criminal investigation.
The current investigation remains ongoing.



