Andrew, who turned 66 on the day of his arrest, was detained at the Sandringham Estate shortly after 8am on Thursday. He was later photographed leaving Aylsham Police Station in the evening after being interviewed on suspicion of misconduct in public office. He was released under investigation and has previously denied any wrongdoing.
On Friday morning, unmarked vehicles, some driven by uniformed officers were seen entering Royal Lodge near Windsor Castle. Thames Valley Police confirmed that searches of a Berkshire address would continue as part of the inquiry.
Allegations linked to Epstein
The investigation centres on allegations that Andrew leaked confidential information to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein during his time as UK trade envoy. Emails contained within documents released by the US Department of Justice allegedly show Andrew forwarding official reports from overseas visits in 2010 and 2011.
The offence of misconduct in public office carries a potential maximum sentence of life imprisonment.
Epstein died in a US prison in 2019. His associate Ghislaine Maxwell is currently serving a 20-year federal sentence for sex trafficking.
Andrew has long faced scrutiny over his association with Epstein. In 2022, he reached a multimillion-pound settlement with his accuser Virginia Giuffre, while denying the allegations and stating he did not recall meeting her.
Royal reaction
King Charles III said he had learned of the arrest “with the deepest concern” and stressed that “the law must take its course.” Buckingham Palace confirmed that neither the King nor the Palace had prior knowledge of the arrest.

Prime Minister Keir Starmer reiterated that “nobody is above the law,” while US President Donald Trump described the situation as “very sad” for the royal family.
The monarchy had previously stripped Andrew of his military affiliations and royal duties amid fallout from the Epstein scandal. The current crisis has been compared by commentators to the 1936 abdication of Edward VIII, widely regarded as one of the most turbulent moments in modern royal history.
Wider investigation
Several police forces, supported by the National Crime Agency, are reviewing material linked to the so-called Epstein files. Gordon Brown said he had submitted additional information to multiple UK police forces regarding historic allegations tied to Epstein.
Andrew, who is eighth in line to the throne, now faces the prospect of a highly publicised legal battle. Detectives are understood to have opted for arrest rather than a voluntary interview to secure evidence and preserve the integrity of the investigation.
As searches continue and the inquiry unfolds, the episode represents one of the most serious challenges to the British monarchy in recent decades.



